Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

What should I be when I grow up?

Well. I'm a 3rd year student now. Which means that next spring I will graduate with a BA hons degree. Yay. But still not so much yay. That means the time has come again for a gap in my life. Now I have to figure out what to do, how to get into the art market, how to get a job, if I should try to do something in Iceland or live in some other country. I was planning to stay in the UK for another year since my boyfriend was still there, but we broke up so all of a sudden my plans are different. 

I'm doing a CV assignment at school right now where I also have to research the job market. I'm kind of stumped. There are so many jobs and still so few. I'm not sure what I should try to apply for, what I might be best in, would it be illustration, concept art, digital art, storyboard? Or something else entierly?

One of my problems is that I haven't specialized in one thing, but that's kind of the Icelandic way to go, because most artists here are jack of all trades. But even then, the chances of getting something to do in Iceland are slim. 

So my dream right now would be to get some work in Europe in a game or movie company where I could work in concept art, illustration or some kind of promotional work. That is going to be hard I'm sure, the market is so competitive and I feel like most artists are supposed to know a lot about animation and 3D modelling as well. Which I find kind of unfair since learning to be a good illustrator is hard work as it is. But I was planning on adding some 3D skills anyhow while I'm at school. But yeah, after looking through all these jobs I feel like I might have my little toe where they have their heels. So maybe there is a chance that I could get into some company as the "lowest" artist of the low. But even if I would have to serve the other staff coffee for a year but be given a chance to draw for a good company I wouldn't complain...much :)

And just for fun, because I like having pictures on my blog, I took the first picture that google came up in the following:

Concept Art


(no author credits on site)


Illustration


(By Wes Watson)


Digital Art


(By M.R.M)


Storyboard
(By Kenneth Chan)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment